Monday 13 January 2014

Five favourites...

These are five favourite photos from our first London section Thames Path walk which we did yesterday. I'll blog later in the week about the walk itself, but thanks to some inspiration from Twitter I made the decision that each time we walk another chunk of the path I'll take the DSLR and just the 50mm lens with me. I love the way that restricting myself to just that one lens makes me think more, and look for different angles to get the shot I want. I'll no doubt take some pictures on the iPhone as well each time, but these are all from the "Nifty Fifty"...


Skaters on the ice rink at Hampton Court. I slowed the shutter speed right down for this to see what variation in motion blur I'd get across the differing skills of those having fun...


The "Nifty" doing what it does best - shallow depth of field. This beautiful Winter Jasmine was rioting over the brick wall around Hampton Court Palace.


A little further downriver and we spotted these three Swans. I did wonder if they'd be happy to let me get close enough to get the shot I wanted. They seemed pretty laid back though, thankfully!


More shallow depth of field - this time with the metal plaque giving the history of Kingston Bridge. For a sub-£70 lens, the 50mm really can give some incredible effects.


This completely deserted line of benches with their attendant trees caught my eye at Canbury Gardens just east of Kingston.

Robyn

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Lovely images from your walk. I love the idea of walking along the Thames - it has such an amazing history with so many different things to see. Look forward to seeing your other pics as you cover more ground!

Scarlet said...

I love this aspect of the blogworld - people who share images of the places they live in or visit; not the usual tourist images that I could find online, but the everyday, which I always find more interesting. It enables me to see things I wouldn't be able to otherwise, and for that I'm very grateful. Thanks Robyn!

Robyn said...

Wendy, as a Londoner the Thames Path has always been there in the back of my mind I suppose - it's only now with us focusing on walking more that we've actually said "lets do it" - I bet we don't stop when we've done the London bit, either!
Scarlet - I can't work out why I've not done something along these lines before. I reckon I should make "Five Photos" a regular feature!