Tuesday 7 May 2013

Hebrides Countdown 2013...




Well there had to be a sunset shot in this year's countdown somewhere, didn't there! This one was taken from the garden of our new "Hebrides Home" last year on our first night there - it was taken at about 10pm and as you can see there is still a lot of light in the sky. It always surprises us a bit just how big the difference is in daylight between here at home and up there - at the time of year we were there last year it was pretty much dark by about 9pm here in the southeast, whereas by the end of the holiday it was still pretty light at close to 11pm! You can certainly see why, over the years, so many people have made good cases for the UK being split into different time zones!  It certainly plays hell with your body-clock as sunrise is also far earlier than we're used to - poor MrEH did struggle with it rather! Not too many problems for me - I sleep through pretty much anything! (I slepot through the 1987 hurricane, for a start!)

Robyn

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I was fascinated by the longer daylight hours, too, when I visited the Hebrides. It makes summer seem very special there.

Robyn said...

If we do eventually achieve our aim of moving up there, I think Blackout Blinds are going to be high on our list of priorities! The flip side of course is the very dark winters. Not sure how I'll cope with that.

Scarlet said...

What a fabulous photograph! I slept through an earthquake that we had up here a few years ago. KL, J and my Mum all awoke with the beds shaking, but I slept right through it! I was quite disappointed!

Robyn said...

Yes, I felt a bit cheated about the Hurricane to be honest....although had I woken up I would probably have been petrified!